What will we cover?
The course starts by looking at what we understand by branding, carefully distinguishing it from visual identity. We then turn to the Wild West (!) to understand why branding matters, how it works, and the different components.
Key concepts are touchpoints and the customer journey, so we explore what these mean and then consider how to map these for your own business.
Some of us have more than one brand, of course, so we need to think about how these relate to each other and the pros and cons of linking them.
Much of the course is then spent discussing how to build, or improve, your own brand. A good place to start is with the work of Simon Sinek and identifying your ‘what’, ‘how’, and ‘why’. We then engage in a deep dive, using a model that is proven to help growing firms revisit their brand.
At this point, we contrast brand preference and brand relevance – arguing that the latter offers a more sustainable route for most SMEs.
What will I learn?
- what branding is and why it is far more fundamental than visual identity
- the reasons why branding is so important to your business
- how branding works and the best way to map touchpoints
- the best way to manage a portfolio of brands in your business
- the importance of discovering your why, how, and what
- a proven method to build, or enhance, your brand
- how to distinguish brand preference and brand relevance (and which is better).
You can join our trainers, Justin and Francesca, every Wednesday from 1600-1700 for a ‘radio phone-in’. They’ll be happy to answer your questions about business, as well as offer hints and tips from their experience working with hundreds of SMEs.